Airline travel is always a hassle. You need to carry several different documents, and then you need to show up different documents at different checkpoints.
With all the luggage and documents, often it becomes a mess at the airport, this becomes a bigger mess if you are travelling with 4-5 people, and you are the one carrying the tickets and the boarding pass.
Thankfully, Apple has implemented a software feature that lets you add your boarding pass to your phone, which you can use to show on the checkpoints inside the airport.
Apple has added Apple Wallet to their iOS, which can store different types of cards and documents including the flight boarding pass.
Make sure that you have installed an Apple wallet on your iPhone, in most cases it comes preinstalled, if not then you can install it from the App store.
Using the Apple wallet you can present the digital version of the boarding pass of your flight on your phone, without having to dig into your bags to take out the boarding pass.
Below are the details on how you can add the boarding pass and how you can show up the boarding pass on your iPhone.
Do note, that not all airports accept digital boarding passes. Approximately 70 airports across the world accept the boarding pass via Apple Wallet.
So, you need to ensure that the airport from where you will be boarding your flight does support the mobile feature of the boarding pass before you begin adding the boarding pass to your Apple Wallet on your iPhone.
If you have the boarding pass via email, text message or on the browser
After you have checked in to your flight, use either chrome or the safari browse. the airline will send you the boarding pass, either by mail, or text message. If you are using Apple mail, then you will have the extra convenience of having the program recognize the boarding pass and then it will add the boarding pass to your wallet automatically. If by any chance the phone doesn’t add on its own, then you can add the boarding pass to the wallet manually as well. To add the boarding pass to your Apple Wallet follow through with the tutorial.
- First, you need to open the email which says that it consists of the boarding pass, inside which you should look for the attachment, usually located at the bottom of the email.
- Besides the attachment, or after opening it you will get an option that says Add to Apple Wallet button and then tap Add.
Often some boarding passes appear automatically based on your device’s location or time. For instance, if you arrive at the airport, you may be able to see the boarding pass as a notification on your iPhone screen. From that notification, you can tap on Add to Apple Wallet button and it will add the boarding pass to the Apple wallet of your iPhone.
Adding Boarding Pass If You Are using the Airline’s App
Alternatively, you can also use the airline’s default app to show the boarding pass of your flight, if you don’t want to completely rely on Apple’s iOS. All you need to do is download the airline’s dedicated app from the app store and then use that app to check-in for your flight and within the app, you will be able to access your boarding pass. However, not all of the airlines have their dedicated apps, but most of the famous airlines like the United, Delta, Emirates, Qatar Airways and many other international airlines do have their apps to help you plan and track your travel. Once you have checked in, look for a button with the Apple Wallet icon, and then you will be able to store your boarding pass in the wallet. Follow through the tutorial to add the boarding pass to your Apple Wallet using the airline’s app.
- Download the dedicated airline app from the Apple app store.
- Open the app, and then create your account or log in with your account if you already have one.
- Input your confirmation code.
- Now you need to observe your boarding pass or an invite, to check in to your flight so you access it.
- Finally, view your app’s interface to find the Add to Apple Wallet button and then tap on it, and then at the end to confirm tap on add again.
After you have added the boarding pass into your Apple Wallet, all you have to do is just need to launch the app and then present it to the airline personnel. If you have multiple boarding passes, you can save each of the boarding passes individually on your Apple wallet and then use each one of them for flight check-ins. You can also discard the old boarding pass if you don’t need them anymore, but before deleting the boarding pass, make sure that you no longer need them.
If you are travelling with your friends or family and you want to share your boarding pass with your known ones. Then you can do so easily by using the Apple wallet. Once you have added the boarding pass or the ticket to your Apple Wallet, you can follow through with the tutorial below to know how you can share it.
- From your iPhone, you need to first open the Apple Wallet app.
- Find and tap on the boarding pass or the ticket which you want to share.
- Now, tap on the More button.
- Inside the more option, you will be able to see the share icon, tap on it and you will see the share sheet from where you can share with others on any platform.
In case you are not able to see the share option, it means that the company or the merchant that have issued the ticket or the pass hasn’t enabled sharing in the wallet app. You need to check with their website or their dedicated apps to check if they provide a share option for the tickets or the passes.
How To Use a Boarding pass or ticket on your Apple Watch
Apple offers a very secure and integrated ecosystem, and if you are into Apple’s ecosystem then you must be having the Apple Watch. Well, the good news is that you can also use your Apple Watch to access the Apple Wallet and from that, you can access the boarding pass or the ticket that you have stored using your iPhone. To access the Apple Wallet from your Apple watch you can go through the tutorial below.
- To start with, first, you need to unlock your Apple Watch, and then double click the side button.
- You will see the apple wallet, now scroll down to find the particular boarding pass or the ticker that you are looking for, then tap on it.
- Your Apple Watch should now show the boarding pass or the ticket that is required, and you can hold your Apple wallet display near the contactless reader to read and fetch the information from the watch.
Having the boarding pass on your mobile device is a very intuitive and easy method to show up at the airports, as less paper means less hassle, which should be what every airport and airline follow and make it a completely digital check-in process.