As most of us are working or studying in online mode from our homes using our computers. The meetings and conferences that we attend are usually on Webex, Zoom or Google Meet.
While zoom and meet does give you an option to change your name while in a meeting or even before you join a meeting, however in this post let’s find out if we can change the name on Webex meeting or not.
If we cannot change the name then is there any workaround to be able to change the name? Let’s dive in.
Can You Change Your Name in a Webex meeting?
Technically you cannot change your name while you are attending a meeting in Webex. But there is an exception, if people join their meetings as guests, then they can change their names from the meeting screens.
This exception only works if the user changes their name before seeking permission to join the meeting, once you are inside the meeting then you cannot even if you have joined the meeting as a guest.
Webex has restricted this option due to security purposes. It can be a big mess and chaos if people start changing their names in between the meetings. It will do nothing but make it more difficult for the host to keep track of the participants.
Webex does allow users to change their names, but only before they join the meeting. Webex also gives you an option to change your name in between meetings, but those changes won’t be reflected in the current meeting and will take effect from the next meeting that you join.
How to change the name on Webex from Desktop
Webex allows its users to change their name be it from a desktop computer or using the mobile app, the process is pretty straightforward.
Using the Webex app, you won’t be able to change the name, instead, you will have to log in to their meeting space from the browser.
Earlier all you had to do was to go to your Webex meeting space using the browser by going to webex.com and then choose Webex Meetings instead of Webex teams. But Webex has changed a few things and now the process is a bit different.
Now, to login to your meeting space, you need to enter the URL of your meeting space as webex.com currently only allows users to log in to Webex Teams.
The meeting space you have is unique to you and you can find it from the desktop app, where you were logged in earlier. Follow through with the quick tutorial to be able to change your name on the Webex desktop.
- First, enter your meeting space URL in the browser and then log in to your account.
- Make sure you are on the homepage of the Webex website, if not then you can change it from the navigation menu located on the left side of the screen.
- Now, go to your name written on the right top corner of the screen and then hover on the down arrow located next to it.
- Click on the My Profile from the menu.
- Next, you have to click on the Edit My Profile button.
- On the next screen, you will see an option for changing your First and LAst name. Leave it as it is. Go to the Display Name option and then enter the name that you want everybody to see in the meetings.
- Finally, click on the Save button to save it successfully.
Changing Name for Guests
On the other hand, if you are joining a Webex meeting as a guest then you can also change the name before you join the meeting on Webex. Also, it doesn’t matter if you join the meeting from the web browser or the desktop app, for guests Webex gives an option to change the name. Below we have a quick tutorial on how you can change your name on Webex when joined as a guest.
- When you open the Webex app as a guest, before you join the meeting, Webex will ask you to enter a Display name and your email address before you proceed to the joining screen.
- If by any chance you have entered a wrong name or if you want to change the name, you can still edit your name even from the joining screen.
- On the joining screen, you need to go to the upper-left corner where you should see your name written, and besides that, you will see an edit button.
- Click on the edit button to change the name from the joining screen.
- You will the “Enter your information screen again and then you can edit your name as well as your email address.
- Once you are done, click on the Next button to proceed.
- Finally, click on the Join Meeting button to join the meeting on Webex.
Changing Your name on Webex from the Mobile App
If you use your mobile device to join Webex meetings and want to change the name on Webex, then let me tell you Webex does allow users to change their names using the mobile app on the go. Below we have a detailed tutorial on how you can change your name on Webex meetings using your mobile device.
- On your mobile device open the Webex Meetings app and then log into your account with your credentials.
- Tap on the Settings icon from the top left corner of the screen.
- Now, tap on the My Account option from the settings.
- Find and tap on the option that says Display Name
- Next, you will see the Name Screen will open. From this screen, you will be able to make changes to your display name, once you are done tap on the Save button to save the changes.
Do note that when changing your name from the Webex mobile app, you won’t get a separate option for your first, last name and display name. Your First and Last name is what you can edit from the Display Name settings. This means that both the settings are merged into one setting on the Webex mobile app. So, this name will appear on the meetings that you join on the Webex app.
Changing Name for Guests
In case you are joining a meeting as a guest from your mobile app, then you can join it from the Webex Meetings app and not a browser.
However, other than that, the process for changing the name from the Webex mobile app is the same as the one on the desktop.
- To change the name from the joining screen but you won’t be able to join the meeting after you have requested to join the meeting or are admitted to the meeting. Now, you need to tap on the Edit button located next to your name on the joining screen.
- You will see the Edit information dialogue box will appear. You can make changes and once you have done editing tap on the OK to save the changes and continue with your joining of meeting.
To conclude, yes you can change your name on Webex meetings, but you can only do it before you join the meeting, and not in between the meetings.
We have covered almost all of the ways through which you can change your name on Webex meetings, and tutorials for the same are covered in the article above.