out of all one thing that is common between different social media platforms is, that everyone has to pick their own username. if you have made your social media account in your early days, then you must have mistakenly made it with a funny or weird username. Similarly, if you have a Twitch account and the username of your twitch account is something that you do like and want to change. Don’t worry, you don’t need to create a new account, you surely can change your Twitch account username, and in this post, we will be discussing how to change the username of the twitch account.
How To Change Your Username on Twitch Using a Browser (Chrome, Firefox)
You can use Twitch across many platforms and many different devices, one such method is by using Twitch on a browser like Chrome, Firefox. The benefit of using Twitch on the browser is that you don’t need to download or install any additional software. You just need to make sure that you are connected to the internet and the process to change the username of your twitch account would be more or less the same. For Twitch users using twitch on the browser follow through the tutorial below.
- Open your browser, and log in with your credentials on the twitch website.
- While, if you are using the browser on your mobile device to use Twitch, then the browser will open the twitch in the mobile view and you will have to switch to the desktop version. You can do so by tapping on the three dots inside the browser on the top right corner or bottom right corner.
- Inside the menu that appears, find and click on Desktop site then return to the home page and then try reloading Twitch.
- Next, you will have to click on your profile icon which is usually located at the upper right corner of the screen.
- Now, in the drop-down menu that appears, click or tap on settings.
- Once inside the settings of twitch, tap on Profile. You can find it in the upper category menu of the settings.
- Now, you need to scroll down till you see the settings of your profile. There should be an edit button located to the right of your username, you need to click on it, the edit icon should be similar to a pencil or a pen.
- Once you click on the edit button, a new window will pop p asking you to enter the new username. Type your preferred username and then click or tap on the update button.
- You will have to enter the login credentials of your Twitch account as a verification step. once entered, you can click on Confirm button.
- After which your new username should reflect in your Titch account, and now you can go back to your twitch account, you will also be notified with an email about your username change.
Do keep in mind that you should have a verified email linked to your Twitch account in order to change the username of your Twitch account. If your Twitch account doesn’t have one, then Twitch will prompt you to verify your email address only after that you will be able to continue the username change process.
How To Change Your User Name on a Windows, Mac or Chromebook PC
If you are using a desktop like a Windows computer or Mac, then changing the username of your Twitch account is technically the same as using the web browser version, barring a few steps. In order to change the username of your Twitch account using a computer, you can follow through with the tutorial below.
- On your computer, open the Twitch desktop app.
- Enter your credentials and log in to your Twitch account.
- Once inside the app, click on your profile icon that is located in the upper right corner of the screen.
- Click on Settings from the drop-down menu.
- Once inside the settings menu, look for the profile in the above categories tabs and then click on it.
- next, you will have to scroll down a bit to find the profile settings. Click on the edit button on the right of your username inside the profile settings.
- Once you clicked the edit button, a new window will pop up asking for the new username for your Twitch account. Enter the name and click on confirm after entering the Twitch login credentials.
- Next, you can return to the home screen of your twitch account, and you will see the updated username of your account.
just like the web version, you will still have to have the verified email address associated with the twitch account, if not then it will ask you to verify the email first then only you can change the username of your Twitch account. In case, you have enabled 2-factor authentication, then you will have to enter the two-factor authentication code as well that will be sent to your phone.
How To Change Your User name on Twitch on an Android Mobile Device
If you are trying to change the username of your Twitch account on your mobile device, then unfortunately you cannot do that. As of now, there’s a lot of option to edit and change different account settings, but you simply cannot edit your username from the Android mobile app of twitch, you will have to use either a desktop app on a computer, or use the web browser and then change the username. You can follow the tutorial discussed above, to change the username of your Twitch account using a desktop or a browser.
How To Change Your UserName on Twitch on an iPhone
The story is pretty similar to what we saw with Android devices, yes you cannot change the username of your Twitch account using the iOS app even on your iPhone. You will have to use a computer to change the username of your Twitch account. Alternatively, you can open twitch on your phone’s browser and then change it to the desktop version, in order to follow the tutorial of the name changing process using a browser that is mentioned above.
How To Change Your User Name on Twitch on the iPad
If you are using an iPhone and an iPad, then you must know that there isn’t much difference between an iPhone and iPad in terms of apps and running of apps. both of them runs the same iOS apps, so technically you are just using the iPhone on a bigger screen, which ultimately means, you can not change the username of your Twitch account on the iPad app of twitch. You will gave to use the browser on your iPad in the desktop mode in order to change the name of your twitch account, you can refer to the tutorial mentioned above on how to change the twitch username using a web browser.
How Long Does it take for the username to update after changing in Twitch?
Twitch name changes are done immediately, which means as soon as you change the username of your twitch account and then click on confirm after entering the credentials, you will be able to see the updated username of your account, and it will be updated for everyone right at that moment itself.
How Do I Change my username colour in Twitch?
In Twitch name colours are used to differentiate your messages from the rest. Your message will be shown in a different colour, thus highlighting it in a better way. however, in order to change the name colour of your twitch account, you will have to use Twitch on a desktop, or use the web browser in the desktop mode. Just like your username, you cannot change the name colour of your twitch account using the mobile app of twitch. to change the name colour of your Twitch account, you need to do the following steps.
- Inside the twitch, while the chat bo is open, type in the command /color and then followed with the color name, for example – /color blue.
- For non-Twitch Turbo users, the only available colors are Blue, Green, red, DodgerBlue, CadetBlue, BlueViolet, Coral, YellowGreen, SpringGreen, SeaGreen, OrangeRed, HotPink, GoldenRod, Firebrick, and Chocolate. While, if you are using twitch turbo, then you can use any hex value of the color you want to use.
How Often Can I Change my Username on Twitch?
For security reasons, twitch only allows a user to change its usernames only once every 60 days. So, if you have changed your username once, then you will have to wait for 60 days to change your username again. We don’t recommend changing your username of twitch that often, as it will also change the URL of your Twitch profile every time you change the username. Your old URL won’t redirect to your profile automatically, which means, people, having your profile’s URL saved as bookmarks or links saved won’t work. You will either have to inform your old subscribers of the change or you will have to provide a redirect link yourself, otherwise, you might lose your followers.
Can Other People use My Old Username?
if you have changed your username and is worried that, other people would use your username, then don’t worry. twitch holds for up to 6 months for any old username which was earlier being used and is now free. This means, nobody can use your old username for up to 6 months, after which anyone can change their username to your older user name.
Also, do keep in mind, names that have been banned are permanently removed from the available name pool and cannot be recovered at any cost. Those names will not be recycled or made available to anyone else.
Can I change my name back to my old one after a name change?
Honestly speaking yes, you can change your name back to the old one after a name change, but only thing is that you will have to wait for 60 days to change your username once again. you might also need to wait for 6 months for the particular name to be available again in the name pool.
You can only change to your old name, only if the name which you want is available after six months and you haven’t changed your username again in the past 60 days. This is a lot of fuss, that is why we recommend thinking twice to thrice properly before you change the username of your twitch account.
I am using a 3rd party app and bots with my old username. Will changing it make them stop working?
This totally depends on the bot you are using. Twitch doesn’t control any kind of development of 3rd party apps so to clarify this doubt you will have to reach out to the support page of both which you are using or the 3rd party apps. Most of the developers developing apps for twitch would know the answer to this and is usually available on their profile pages. Alternatively, you can also ask the question about the same in their forum.
Can Changing names shorten my ban time?
NO. changing the username of your Twitch account won’t do any good to your ban. As the Twitch ban is account-based and not name-based. So the amount of time for which your Twitch account is ban won’t change at all even if you change the name of your account. You wills til have to wait for the ban to run out, or you can make a new twitch account if you have been permanently banned from Twitch.
A Simple Process
When it comes to changing the username on Twitch, the social media platform has made it quite simple and easy to do so. Whether you are trying to overcome your childhood mistake of making a weird username, or if you are planning to establish a new brand changing the username can be helpful. Knowing the process of changing the username of your Twitch account can come in quite handy for everyone. Also, you need to keep in mind the waiting period of every username, and if you want to use the older username, then the wait time is also more which can be a bummer for some, but still, it’s fine for security purposes. So, before you change your name, make sure to think twice or thrice carefully, or you may end up waiting for a long time to correct your mistake.