Android SDK Platform Tools zip file is now available for download for Windows, Mac, and Linux systems. In this guide, we will also tell you how you can use the Android SDK Platform Tools to run ADB and Fastboot commands on your Android device. With ADB and Fastboot commands, you would be able to install apps, custom recoveries, stock ROMs and even custom ROMs on your Android device using your Windows, Mac, or Linux computer.
Android SDK Platform Tools
The Android SDK and Android Studio are tools provided by Google for developers for the purpose of developing Android apps. The Android SDK, aka Android Software Development Kit, is a complete set of tools and utilities one would need to develop apps for Android. While developing apps, the developer might need to test their new app by connecting their device to their computer. They might also need to capture error logs (logcat) and perform other activities. These functionalities are made possible by ADB and Fastboot tools.
These ADB and Fastboot tools also called as Android SDK Platform Tools, are a part of Android SDK. The problem is that the complete Android SDK weighs around 1 GB in size and if you just want the ADB and Fastboot Platform Tools, then there is no point in downloading the huge file. Google has finally made the platform tools binaries available separately for Windows, Mac, and Linux. Now you can simply download the Android SDK platform tools zip and make use of it directly.
Download SDK Platform Tools for Windows, Mac, & Linux
- Android SDK Platform Tools for Windows
- Android SDK Platform Tools for Mac
- Android SDK Platform Tools for Linux
How to use Android SDK Platform Tools
Please note that the below tutorial is for Windows-based computers.
- Make sure you have the latest Android USB Drivers installed on your computer.
- Download the platform tools zip file from the downloads section above.
- Extract the zip file to get the SDK Platform Tools.
- Open the extracted folder and open command prompt from inside that folder. There are two ways to do it:
- Inside the folder, type ‘cmd’ in the address bar and hit enter.
- Inside the folder, hold down Shift Key and Right Click anywhere in the empty portion in the folder and select ‘Open command window here‘ or ‘Open PowerShell window here‘.
- Allow USB Debugging | Authorize ADB Commands on Android: This guide will help you on how to prepare your Android device.
- Once the above step is complete, you are good to go!
Now you have successfully installed and set up the Android SDK Platform Tools zip file on your computer.