We often need a way to communicate with many people at once. Whether we are planning an event, keeping in touch with friends, or heading up a team project at work, sales teams, management teams, or department teams can use messaging for rapid means of communication. Fortunately, iMessage group chat lets you do just that.
Messaging is quickly becoming the preferred means of communication when rapid responses from groups are required or when everyone is spread out geographically. Email tends to be slower even if it is pushed to users’ devices. We primarily use email for longer messages and less urgent matters.
iMessage lets you send texts, photos, audio clips, and videos—whatever you need to get your message across! In an iMessage group chat, multiple people can receive and reply to these messages all in the same conversation.
The group iMessage is distinguished by the fact that every participant should be using an Apple phone. You can see all of your sent messages in blue ones, and all of your received messages in gray bubbles on the screen. Wi-Fi users may send and receive encrypted messages without using any data. As a result, users may message from a Mac or an iPad with a Wi-Fi network connection.
The replies of each group member are visible to everyone. They may share their location, and exchange photographs, animations, and drawings. People can be added or removed from groups in iMessage by those who initiate the group chat. Members of a group with four or more members also have the option to mute alerts or to leave the group altogether.
iMessage Group Chat Set-up Guide
Everyone in the group has to be an iPhone user in order for the group to function properly. Learn what to do to name a group chat on an iPhone.
- Open the Messages app on your iPhone and check your messages.
- To compose a new message, tap on the paper and pencil symbol on the toolbar.
- Send your first group SMS by typing in the names of the people you want to include.
- If you want to know how many members are in your group, tap on the small carrot (arrow).
- You may get more information by clicking the info button.
- Change your name and photo by tapping on the respective buttons.
- Please enter the name of your group.
- To save the group name, click Done at the bottom of the screen.
- You may exit the edit view by tapping the Done button at the bottom of the screen.
How to add or change a name to iMessage Group chat?
- A group conversation may be set up by tapping on the ‘Pencil’ option in the top right corner of the screen.
- Typing someone’s name in the recipient’s box on top will allow you to add them to the conversation.
- Compose a text, and send it.
- After that, name your group chat by tapping at the top of the group message thread.
- Then select Change Name and Photo. You may update and add a new name to an existing group by tapping on the existing name.
- Next, enter the group name. To be able to message the group, just type the name of the group text in the “To:” field. You can go on and pin the group chat to the top of the conversation if you wish.
- Alternatively, you may also open your contacts by tapping on the ‘+’ icon in the top right corner. Then pick the individuals you want to add from the drop-down list.
- To add people to the group chat, they must also have iMessage installed. In iMessage, when you add a contact, their names display in blue.
- People who do not have iMessage access show green.
- Adding iMessage users to the recipient list, sending a message, and you’ve got yourself a group. As an added touch, you may add the name and image of your group to the page.
When you’re finished, click Finish to save your new group name. You may exit the edit view by tapping the Done button at the bottom of the screen.
How to Remove Someone From an iMessage Group
Eventually, you may want to remove people from your iMessage group chats. This could be because you added them by mistake or because they became disruptive to the group.
Whatever the reason, it’s easy to give them the boot.
You can only remove users if there are more than two other members, to begin with. Otherwise, you may as well just message the remaining person separately.
- Open the group chat in iMessage and tap the group chat image at the top of the screen.
- Tap Info to view all your group members.
- Slide left on the person you want to kick out and tap Remove.
- After doing so, the removed person is notified that they have “Left the Conversation”. They won’t be able to send or receive messages with that group unless you add them again.
How to Mute/Leave a Group Chat
There are various reasons to want to leave a group. It could be that the purpose behind its creation has passed, or simply that you’ve had enough of the barrage of messages to keep up with.
If you want to leave a group chat, you need to visit the group chat Info page a final time.
- Open Messages and select the group chat conversation.
- Tap the profile image at the top of the screen, then tap Info.
- Scroll down, then turn on Hide Alerts.
- To quit a group chat, scroll down and choose to Leave this Conversation option.
- You can only leave conversations with three or more people in them. Doing so notifies the other members you left and stops you from receiving any more messages from that group.
These messages appear in blue text bubbles. They go through Apple instead of your carrier and are protected by end-to-end encryption. In a group iMessage, everyone can:
- Send and receive photos, videos, and audio messages
- See all responses from the group
- Send and receive message effects, like sketches, animations, bubble effects, and more
- Share their location with the group
- Give the group a name, add or remove people from the group, mute notifications, or leave the group
With the release of iOS 14, Apple made it possible to mention people in your iMessage group chats, to make sure they see the message.
To do this, type the @ symbol, followed by that person’s name, in your message. Their name appears blue or bold when you do so.
You can also type a person’s name without the @ symbol, then tap the name and select that person before sending your message.
If that person has the conversation muted, they might still get a notification if you mention them in a message.
How many individuals are allowed to be in an iMessage Group?
There is no definite answer to the exact number, but it depends on the cell phone service company you choose. There is a limit of 32 people per iMessage group chat if you have US Cellular service. Afterward, the plus sign appears to transform from blue to gray in the top right corner of the screen. This means you are unable to add any new contacts.
As currently, some firms limit group messages to 10 people, and others allow users to create chat groups of up to 20 people.
Group messages are confusing, especially when you add iMessage to the mix! Here are what Apple considers to be the three types of group messages:
Group iMessage: All messages are sent from Apple devices using an Apple ID with iMessage turned on. iMessage supports photos and videos as well as texts.
Group MMS: Participants send messages from a mix of Apple devices and non-Apple devices. Like iMessage, Group MMS also supports photos and videos as well as texts.
Group SMS: Group participants send messages from all types of devices without any multimedia support. Messages are sent as individual texts, and people do not see responses from the group as a whole.
You can tell the difference between an iMessage group chat versus an MMS or SMS group chat by the message colors. If all the message bubbles are blue, then you’re using iMessage. MMS and SMS messages appear in green.
Apple published on April 03, 2020, a limit of 32 people per group, in iMessage / Messages / FaceTime. You can have many more groups in the app, just not more than 32 distinct Apple ID/iCloud per group.
It’s different from other group chats in that only iMessage users can participate. An important factor behind iMessage’s success is that it’s built-in. This is a great way to communicate with multiple people at once using your iPhone or iPad.