The easiest way to get the WPA key is to go to the one who owns the network or who is running the network, that person will be having the WPA key through which you can connect your device to that network. However, there are few cases where the default WPA passphrase or the password might be printed on the wireless router through which you want to connect. if you cannot find the password from the router or anywhere, you might have to reset the router and start afresh to connect to that router.
How a WPA Key Works
To start with let’s first know what is a WPA. WPA is the short form of Wi-Fi protected access. Usually, there are three different types or three different versions of the standard WPA which replaced the older insecure version of WPA called wired equivalent privacy or WEP. Both the version required a password to connect to the wireless network, however, it was easier to crack a password that is protected by WEP as compared to WPA, which is why we have replaced WEP with WPA. Once you get the access, your communications and all of the data sent or received are encrypted to prevent eavesdropping.
WPA3 is the current latest version of WPA and it currently provides the most secure way of connecting to a wireless network that includes the public networks as well.
One should always keep in mind that you should only share your Wi-Fi password with those whom you know very well, never share your Wi-Fi passwords with strangers, as they may be able to access your devices and might spy on you.
How To Find WPA Keys
If you are looking for WPA keys at a public place, as mentioned earlier, it would be with the person who owns that network or whosoever is managing that network should have the WPA. If you are at someone’s home, then you should ask the owner or the host of that place for the network password.
While if it is your network, and you are not sure about the password, then you can check on your wireless router. Most probably, the default password is written on the router or on the box of the router inside which it came. Often a label is printed under the router saying WPA Password or network security key followed by the actual password, so make sure you check the router thoroughly.
On the router, you will also be able to see the SSID number of that device. This default SSID is the default name for your network, and you need to connect to this name of the network and then enter the password. To access or configure the router you will need a computer or a laptop that is connected to that router wired or wirelessly, further which you will be able to change the name of your router, SSID and the password as well.
Resetting a Password
In case you have forgotten the password of your wireless network, or if you don’t know the password, then you won’t be able to connect it unless you get the password. Fortunately, these routers are built in a way that you can reset them and start from fresh if you cannot remember the password or username.
In most wireless network routers, there is a small button, pressing it resets the router to its factory settings. Some of the routers also require you to use a pin to press the reset button of the router. Once you have reset the router you will be able to see the default SSID of that router, and the default password is usually printed on the router itself. if you are not able to find the default password of your router, then you must try to read the manual of that router or try to contact the customer support of the brand of which you have the router. If the default password of your router is the same across the models, then you must prefer to change the password of your router, as using this information other people might be able to connect to your network without your information.
Also, if you reset your router, then all of the devices that were connected to the router will need to reconnect to that router, and you will have to re-enter the password to each device like your smartphone, computer smart TVs etc.
How To Change a SingTel Network Key
You all must have heard of the company SingTel, if not then it is an Asian telecommunications company that offers broadband connections and internet to its subscribers. usually, SingTel customers get 2 wire gateways or routers, using them users can access the internet and create a local network. The network encryption key which was set up while setting up the wireless router or gateway is usually at the bottom of your 2Wire device. So, with the key on the bottom of the router, your network lacks security, however, you have the option to change the password and set up your network password. To change the password of your gateway or router and set something of your own, follow the steps below.
- First, you need to open the internet browser.
- Then in the address bar type 192.168.1.254 and then press enter key from your keyboard, this will take you to the configuration page of your router.
- here you need to find and click on the Wireless option or on its logo to advance to the next screen.
- Once inside the wireless option next you will have to look for the Security tab and under that find the Wireless key section. Once you find this, that’s it, this is the one which you need to change, set it to the custom encryption key.
- Now, type in your network password, that you want to keep it. We recommend you to keep it something which cannot be guessed and is a mixture of symbols numbers and special characters.
- Finally, click o the Save button to apply the new password and all the changes that you made, and then further you can log out of your router’s configuration page.
How To Find Your Router Password
Of course, everybody should know the password of their router, often people need it for various purposes. If you want to connect a new device, or if some guests came to your palace who need to access the internet, then in such cases you will have to give them the network passwords, so if you don’t know the password of your router, or have lost the password, don’t worry we have you covered, you can follow through this post to find the password of your router.
Using a Connected PC to Access the Key
If by any chance any other PC is connected to your wireless router then it may be quite simple to get back your lost router password, there are certain tools in Windows through which we can retrieve the password of the router.
- First, you need to open the network and Sharing centre. Then make sure that you are connected via Wi-Fi. Click on Wi-Fi to bring up the network properties.
- Next, you need to click on the Wireless Properties.
- Here you need to navigate to the Security tab and then click Show characters this will reveal the wireless password of your router. If you are still unable to see the characters this way, then you can proceed to find the password with an alternative method below.
Accessing your Router Via Web Browser
Using the wireless properties section didn’t get you the password of your router, then you can locate it by using a connected OC to access the router’s settings, and inside which you will be able to see the password of your router.
- First, you need to connect your PC to the router using the ethernet cable. in case you have any other device that can open a browser and is already connected to the router, then you can use that device to access the router’s configuration page.
- Next, you need to log in to the router’s configuration page. If you haven’t changed the default username and password of your router then you can enter the default login information for your router. You will have to enter the router’s IP address into your browser and then you can use the username and password to login to the configuration page. This information can be found printed on your router, or the manual with which it came.
- Now, you have to navigate to the wireless settings of the configuration page of your router. Inside which you will be able to see the password.
How To Find Your WPA-PSK Key
Most of the open wireless networks are very much vulnerable to people around them and anyone can access the network and could misuse it. WPA or WIFI Protected Access is a type of security protocol for wireless networks that can keep any unauthorized users away from your network. Whenever WPA is active on the router, any device that tries or attempts to connect to the network will have to have the correct key, otherwise, that user won’t connect to the wireless network. The owner of the wireless network should always know the password of their network, as it allows easy connection of their other devices like consoles, TVs and more, it also helps in connecting the guest’s devices to that network. Below are the steps to find the WPA-PSK key of your network.
- First, you need to connect your computer with one of the LAN ports available on your router using the LAN cable. Make sure to check that the router is plugged in and has power.
- Now, you have to open the web browser and then enter the router’s IP address into the address bar. The IP address usually for most of the routers is 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.2.1 using this you will be able to login to the router’s configuration page. In case, the setup page of the router doesn’t appear, you may need t consult the router’s user manual for the right IP address.
- Log in with your username and password inside the configuration page. The login page may vary from router to router, for some you may be automatically prompter for the log-in credentials while for others you may have to type it manually and then click on Login. Try admin for the username and leave the password blank or admin for the username and password for the password. If these do not work, consult the router’s user manual for the defaults.
- The best option would be to reset the router to its default settings if you cannot remember the username and password which you have created only. You will need to use a pin to press the small reset button for 20-30 seconds. usually in the router, this button is under the router, and pressing it will reset the router to its factory settings.
- Finally, you have to look under the Wireless settings or Wireless Security sections of the configuration page. You will find the WPA key inside the configuration page. If you have reset the router then you must create the WPA key once again.
How To Remove My Wireless Internet Password
We all have WIFI security passwords that are needed to connect to the network. Without the password our networks are insecure and anyone can plan an attack on our networks. Mainly, the router is the device that connects the computer and all of our devices to the internet. We do not recommend removing the passwords but if you want to remove the passwords then you can go on to your router’s admin page and then remove the password. You will need a web browser to access the router’s configuration page.
- First, open your web browser and then enter the router’s IP address. You can check the router or the manual with which your router came to know the IP address of the configuration page of your router. In case you still cannot find the configuration IP address of your router, then you can simply open the command prompt from start and then type
ipconfigand press enter. Wait for your computer to load the details and display them on your screen. In the results displayed, you can see the default gateway and its IP address for your router. In most cases, the default IP address of the router is 192.168.1.1. Once you have entered the IP address of your router in the address bar of the browsers it should open the router configuration page.
- Next, inside the router configuration page, you will have to write the login details of the router. If you don’t know the login details, then you might need to check the router, usually, there’s a sticker on which the credentials are written, if not then you can always check the manual or the box with which the router came. Alternatively, you can consult the ISP if the router is provided by them, and if you still cannot find the information then you may want to look around on the internet.
- Once, you have entered into the configuration page and logged in with the credentials you have to look for the Security page on the admin setup.
- Locate the Wireless Protection section, and then you will have to make sure that you click on the Disable any forms of Wi-Fi protection. Usually, the most common type of WiFI protection that is used is WPA (WIFI Protection Access), some older routers might be still using the older method called WEP (Wired Equivalent Privacy).