All of your devices connect with one another easily with the help of the Apple ecosystem. This particular interdependence is demonstrated by how well Macs and iPhones operate together.
But there might be times when you don’t want them to work collaboratively. You don’t need to be worried; you can always separate your Mac and iPhone and use them separately.
But then again you will need to disconnect them manually, mainly if the devices are paired up previously to connect. There are many ways to do so, and some of them are mentioned below.
How to Disconnect iPhone and Mac from Apple ID
If you want to disconnect your iPhone from your Apple ID on your Mac, you will have to sign out of Apple ID from your iPhone or Mac, at least on either one of the devices.
- On your iPhone, you can find this option under Settings > Apple ID select your Mac and tap on the Remove from account button.
- On your Mac, you can find this option under System Preferences > Apple ID, choose the iPhone you want to disconnect, and click on the Remove from account button.
How to Disconnect iPhone from AirDrop on Mac
Airdrop is one feature apple provides, which is helpful to wirelessly send files from one device to another over your iPhone or Mac. If you don’t want your devices to detect each other over AirDrop you’ll need to turn it off at least on either one of the devices.
- On your iPhone, you can find this option under Settings > General > AirDrop and tap on Receiving Off, and this will prevent your iPhone from getting displayed over your Mac on AirDrop.
- On your Mac, you can find this option under the Finder app click on AirDrop in the sidebar then click the drop-down menu beside Allow me to be discovered by and select No One.
How to Disconnect iPhone from Mac’s Finder
In general, unless your iPhone is linked to your Mac via a USB cable, it should not appear in the Finder. Just removing the USB cable should solve the problem. But still, your iPhone might still be visible in Finder if you have set it to detect your device previously over your Wi-Fi network.
Simply head to the sidebar, and click your iPhone. Over the General option, go to Options then deselect Show This iPhone when on the Wi-Fi option.
How to Stop iCloud syncing among iPhones and Mac
Once you connect your iPhone and Mac using a similar Apple ID, they are added to your iCloud which automatically syncs all over your devices. If you don’t want your Mac to sync data with your iPhone
- Head over to Apple Menu > System Preferences.
- Click on Apple ID and select iCloud on the sidebar.
Uncheck all the services and features that you don’t want your Mac to sync to iCloud which includes your Contacts, Notes, Mails, and Reminders.
Likewise, you can also stop the sync to iCloud over your iPhone connected to a similar Apple ID.
- Once you open Settings > tap your name > select iCloud.
- Toggle off the services you wish to disable syncing.
How to Disconnect Incoming iPhone Calls on a Mac
At times when you do some important work over your Mac, it is irritating when someone calls over your iPhone and it Notifies you over your Mac, you can simply prevent this from happening just by turning this feature off.
- Head over to Settings on your Mac and go to the Phone option.
- Over Calls on Other Devices, simply toggle off.
Also, Toggle off Allow Calls on Other Devices if you don’t wish to receive calls on devices.
How to Stop Getting iPhone Text Messages on a Mac
One of the best features which Apple provides is Forwarding messages received on your iPhone over to your Mac which is helpful in cases when your iPhone is not within your reach also you don’t miss a thing as you will always be notified.
But only if you have enabled Text Message Forwarding previously, if you haven’t you’ll only be able to receive iMessage over your Mac.
If you find this irritating and want to turn off this feature you need to follow the steps below.
- Launch the Messages on your Mac.
- Click over Messages in the menu bar > Preferences.
- Go to the iMessage tab > Select your Apple ID if you wish to receive iMessages but not SMS.
- You can now Sign Out to disable Messages altogether on your Mac.
Additionally, you can also make a few changes to your iPhone by heading over to Settings > Messages > tap on Send & Receive > Uncheck Apple ID to stop receiving the iMessages from your Apple ID.
How to Disconnect a Mac From from an iPhone’s Personal Hotspot
Over the places where you don’t find any WiFi network, it’s most likely that you have connected your Mac to the Personal Hotspot of your iPhone and used the cellular data of your iPhone.
How to Disconnect Mac from iPhone’s Personal Hotspot
You can Disconnect your Mac from your iPhone’s Personal Hotspot by heading to the Menu bar and clicking the Personal Hotspot icon to open the Wi-Fi menu.
There would appear your iPhone’s name. Click the Personal Hotspot icon and click on disconnect now you can choose a different Wi-Fi network or any other Personal Hotspot
If you used your iPhone’s hotspot to connect your Mac to the internet, it will either connect immediately or prompt you to join when your Mac detects it. If you don’t want this to happen, take the following steps.
- Go to System Preferences > Network > Wi-Fi.
- Uncheck Ask to join Personal Hotspots.
How to Turn off your iPhone’s Personal Hotspot
You can also prevent your Mac from joining your iPhone’s Personal Hotspot Automatically simply go to Settings > Personal Hotspot > toggle off Allow Others to Join.
How to Disconnect Bluetooth Pairing between your iPhone and Mac
The Bluetooth feature is used to allow two devices to operate together effortlessly in features such as Handoff and Universal Clipboard and is another way to get your Mac online. Turning off Bluetooth, in conjunction with other continuity needs such as Wi-Fi, stops the two devices from interacting.
- If you want to turn off Bluetooth on your iPhone, head to Settings > Bluetooth > toggle it off. If you can find it under My Devices, you can also remove it from the list by tapping the (i) button > and selecting Forget This Device.
- If you want to turn off Bluetooth on your Mac, Go to the menu bar > click the Bluetooth icon >toggling it off.
How to Disconnect Handoff Between an iPhone and Mac
The Handoff feature is really helpful as it allows you to continue your task which you started over another device for instance from your iPhone to your Mac or the other way. However, you can turn off the Handoff feature on your iPhone and your Mac id if you want to disable it.
- On your iPhone Go to Settings > General > AirPlay & Handoff > Turn off Handoff.
- On your Mac Head to the Apple menu > System Preferences > click General > uncheck Allow Handoff between this Mac and your iCloud devices at the bottom.
How to Disable Notes Sync
Other than emails and calendars, iCloud apple also let us sync our Notes noted on the Notes App over the devices, this is helpful in case where you want to note down some Study related Material or want to Clip any article.
You can disable the sync of notes by Heading to Settings > Notes > toggle on On My iPhone Account.