iOS has a lot of hidden tricks that many of us don’t know about its existence. One such thing is that you can play games on iMessage with anyone who is also using iMessage. Apple allows a bunch of different games that can be played with your friends while you chat.
One such game is Gomoku. One of the perfect games that people who are using iMessage can play. The game is usually for those who prefer stimulating games.
Gomoku is a very popular traditional board game. If you are unaware of this amusing game, then you are in for a treat. As Apple allows its users to play games with friends over iMessage, the fact that you can play Gomoku with your friends is super cool.
Playing games over iMessage is way cooler than playing games over traditional online games. On top of that, you don’t even have to wait for the other person to come online to play the game. The other person can get along with the game whenever they have time.
Another good thing about playing games on iMessage over traditional is that you don’t have to play the game in one go. You can play your turn whenever you have free time or whenever you feel like it, it can continue for days or months without any issue.
On iMessage, each turn is sent to the other person as a message so you can open the message and see what move the other player has played and then you can play your turn accordingly. Below we have the complete detailed tutorial on how you can play Gomoku on iMessage.
How To get Gomoku in iMessage
To start playing Gomoku on iMessage with your friends, you both will have to first install the game within the Messages app. These types of games are available to play only within iMessage and not as standalone apps on your device.
- On your iPhone go to the Messages app and open an iMessage conversation thread. You have both options, either open a new chat or an existing one.
- Tap on the App Drawer icon located on the left of the messaging textbox.
- You will see the options for iMessage apps. Tap on the App Store icon to open the App store within the iMessage.
- In the new overlay window tap on the search icon located on the right corner of the screen and then search for GamePigeon. You cannot search Gomoku directly, as it won’t show any result. GamePigeon is a store that has a collection of different games that can be played inside iMessage. using GamePigeon you can play games like Mancala, 8-ball pool, Cup Pong and more.
- After the search result appears, you need to tap on the get button under the name of GamePigeon. This will add the GamePigeon to the iMessage toolbar.
How To Play Gomoku
After you have finished installing GamePigeon app on your message toolbar, its time that we start playing the game.
- Close the app store and return to the App drawer.
- You need to swipe left to navigate to the icons on the right and then tap on the icon of GamePigeon, which should be of green colour.
- Inside the GamePigeon you will see all the available games that can be played. You need to tap on the thumbnail for Gomoku.
- After that, the game should load into the message textbox. You need to tap on the Send button so that the other person receives the invite of the game over iMessage. Since you are invited to the game, the other person will get to play the first turn.
The Gomoku game inside the iMessage consists of a 12×12 board and sets of black and white stones. Player 1 gets the black stones automatically and gets the first turn to play. Both the players get to place a stone in alternate turns at the intersection of the tiles.
The basic objective of playing the Gomoku game is to place 5 of your stones consecutively on the board.
To play your turn, you need to place the stone at the intersection and then tap on the Send button at the bottom. You can also change the position of your stone any number of times before you send your move to the opponent.
However, once you have sent your move, then you cannot change the position of the stones.
Any player who places 5 consecutive stones of their colour be it diagonally, horizontally or vertically wins the game. To sum up, you don’t need to only place your 5 consecutive stones at one place, you also have to try to block the other player’s stones from getting placed 5 stones together.
As soon as you have got the basics of the game correctly, all you have to do is then strategize your moves and plans to win the game with your friend.
Always try to get the first turn on the game, as the first turn traditionally gets the advantage of placing their stone anywhere on the board and it increases the odds of winning over the second player.
So, make sure your friends send you an invite to play Gomoku, that way you will get the first chance to play, never send the invite from your side on the iMessage, that way your friend will get the first chance.
Gomoku is surely a stimulating pass time game for you and your friends where you can play the game according to your time. So, that way not much time is wasted while playing the game, as it doesn’t need to be played in one go.
On top of that, since you are playing the Gomoku game on iMessage. It also allows you to chat with the other person, so it is a win-win situation for both of you.