iPhone users are very much into their Apple ecosystem, and one of the important parts of iOS integrity is the iMessage. Every iPhone user uses messages app and Apple keeps on improving and adding features with their updates.
However, if you are a regular user of iMessage and have been accidentally deleting messages on iMessage but have never been able to recover them. Then, don’t worry we got you covered; with the below tutorials you will be able to recover the accidentally deleted messages in the iMessage on iPhone.
Since iMessage is a messaging app, we often have some important conversations and some attachments to it, which is why we want to recover our deleted messages.
No wonder if these important messages are deleted by accident, then it can be a huge loss for some while others can miss their memories and more. As we all know there is no recycle bin or trash for the iMessage so you cannot recover this way.
However, there are a few other things which you can try to recover your deleted messages from iMessage, below are the tutorials you can go through them.
Check Your Other Apple Devices
If you have multiple Apple devices that are logged in with the same Apple ID and you have accidentally deleted any of your iMessage threads.
Then you can always try to use the other Apple device and check if it has those messages left in your iMessage since often Apple devices sync your iMessage through iCloud, so if you find the messages make sure to turn off the iCloud sync.
However, for this method to work, you must have previously activated iMessage on the other device.
If you find the messages you are looking for, make sure to keep them on the second device or forward the messages to your iPhone.
But note that you can’t recover the thread to your iPhone exactly. If you will forward the thread to yourself, then it will be like a conversation to yourself and not with the other person, but on the good part, you will be able to have the messages at least.
Act Quick Turn off iCloud
So, now that you have found the messages on your other device with the help of iCloud that were deleted, you can get it back to you permanently if you act fast.
If you have accidentally deleted the message then you can turn off the iCloud sync immediately and that might help you in saving the messages on your other device which is logged in with the same Apple ID. To turn off the iCloud sync follow through the tutorial below.
- On your, iPhone go to the settings app and then tap on your Name card located at the top of the settings.
- Inside the Apple ID settings, you need to tap on the iCloud option.
- Tap on the toggle for Message and the green toggle should turn off.
- On the dialogue box tap on Disable and Download messages. if your thread wasn’t yet deleted from the iCloud serves then it should be present on your device if not then it should be downloaded from the iCloud servers.
Recover Deleted Messages from iCloud Backup
If by chance you were not using iMessage cloud sync, but back up your phone and messages to iCloud is turned on, then you can restore them from the iCloud backup.
Do note that when you are using messages in iCloud, then messages are not separately stored in the iCloud backup of your device.
So, this method is only available if you have messages in iCloud disabled, but included messages in the iCloud backup.
But before you decide to restore an iCloud backup, you can consider your iCloud backup old enough to include the deleted iMessage thread.
- To determine whether the backup would even have deleted the iMessage thread then you need to go to settings and open Apple ID settings by tapping your name at the top.
- Tap on the iCloud option.
- Then tap on the Manage Storage option.
- Next, you need to tap on Backups.
- it should show the list of all the available backups in case you have more than one device. You can tap the backup for your current device.
- Now in the backup info, you will be able to see the date next to the Last backup to determine if the backup is older than the date of the time when you deleted the messages.
Do note that if you found the older backup the one which has your messages that you deleted by accident. But restoring them would mean restoring your phone to the factory settings and then start restoring it from the backup.
So, any data that wasn’t in the backup would be lost. make sure to decide thoroughly before you start restoring. If you have decided to restore, then you can follow through with the procedure to begin restoring your iPhone with an old backup.
- On your iPhone tap on the settings.
- Go to the General option inside settings.
- Tap on the option for reset.
- Now you need to scroll down and then tap on the Erase all content and settings to begin resetting your phone to factory settings.
- Once the reset is complete, your phone will start again and you will be able to set your phone again. While setting up the phone tap on Restore from iCloud backup to set up your phone from the iCloud backup.
Restore from iTunes Backup
For all those users who use iTunes to back up their data instead of iCloud, then restoring from your iTunes backup that you have earlier created would recover the deleted thread for you, if while creating the backup those messages were present on your phone only then.
However, if you use messages with iCloud, then too, iTunes backup would not include your messages. This method is only for those people who don’t use iCloud for any kind of backup and solely depends on iTunes for backup. if you are one of them then you should give it a try, you might get to see your deleted messages.
Just like restoring the backup from iCloud would replace all of the data of your phone with the backup, the same will be the case while restoring your data using iTunes it will replace everything present on your phone.
So, before you proceed, you need to make sure that you don’t lose any other data that you haven’t backed up.
Once you are ready to restore your data from iTunes you can follow through the tutorial below.
- Start by connecting your iPhone to your PC the one which has your backup and then open iTunes on your computer. You should be able to see an icon for the iPhone located in the upper left corner.
- Click on it to open the device summary.
- Now, under the backups, the section you will find all the backups and their date and time as to when the backup was created on this computer.
- if the date of the backup matches with your requirements, which means that the backup is before you deleted the messages then you can proceed to restore that backup to your iPhone. Click on the Restore backup option located under the manually back up and restore section to replace the data with the backup.
Recovering a deleted iMessage is a big mess and it can be a very complex process. But if the messages that have been deleted accidentally is very important and you are ready to take all of the complex steps, then we have covered most of them in the above tutorials and you can try any of them. You might succeed in recovering your deleted messages, if all of these fails, you can also try to use some third-party apps to recover your iMessage thread.