Google is one of the biggest tech giants has and been running services in almost every category. Almost a decade ago Google launched Google Play Books, a service that allows you to read books electronically on your gadgets. It has a huge library of books and gives a good overall reading experience on smartphones or tablets.
One of the greatest reading devices of all time is Amazon’s Kindle, but to read books on kindle you need to have the books purchased from the Kindle Store, which is a different story. However, in this post we will guide you, to read Google Playbooks on other devices like Amazon Kindle and more.
It is basically a tutorial on how to transfer downloaded eBooks from Google Play Books to other devices.
How To Transfer downloaded books from Google Play Books to other devices
The process isn’t that easy and is a bit long, but stick to it, and you will be able to get the hands-on google Playbooks on other devices. Also, we don’t promote this of doing it by any means, we have just written a tutorial on the possibility that Google Play Books can be transferred. make sure you are well aware of DRM and DRM laws.
Download purchased books from Google Play to Your Computer
Google Play Books uses the common EPUB ebook format for their books to be stored in their library or when you download it. Usually when you download ebooks from stores like Google Play, or Apple books they are downloaded to your PC in the format of EPUB only. So to download books from Google Play in EPUB format below are the steps.
- Login to Google Play Books from your Google ID through which you have purchased the ebooks.
- Go to the My Books tab, here you will see all of the books which you have added to your library.
- Now, hover your cursor to the book you want to download, see the three dots at the bottom right corner of the book click on it.
- Now, from the menu click on the export button, you will see a pop-up box opens asking for the format in which you want to export the book.
- Either you will be having an option of PDF, if yes then it is well and good you can use the PDF in any other devices, since it is widely supported, else click on EPUB format and download the ebook.
Not all books are available for downloading, make sure to check the Availability of downloading the particular book from Google Play.
However, there are chances that you might get an ebook in a different format called ACSM. Since ACSM stands for Adobe Content Server Message file that’s used by Adobe Digital Editions software. It is used to authorize, activate and download Adobe DRM protected contents.
ACSM file is not the actual ebook, it doesn’t have any content related to the ebook. Instead, think of it as the key to your ebook, once Adobe authorizes that you have purchased the book then only it will allow you to download the actual ebook to your computer through the Adobe Digital Editions Program.
Convert ACSM to EPUB using Adobe Digital Editions
To get the EPUB file of the desired book, from the ACSM file which you downloaded from Google Play you need to follow the steps mentioned below.
- Download and Install Adobe Digital Editions on your computer.
- Use your Adobe ID to log into Adobe digital editions, create it if you don’t have one. ( It’s Free). Adobe account would be needed in any case, since it will be used to authorize the computer to download the purchased ebook.
- Once you have set up the Adobe digital editions with your Adobe ID, simply drag and drop the ACSM file to the Adobe digital editions. The software will validate your purchase and then will begin the downloading of the actual ebook in EPUB format.
The EPUB book you have downloaded is still locked with Adobe Digital Editions on your PC. If you further want to read the book into your other devices, you will need to remove the DRM protection from the ebook.
How To Remove DRM protection from Google Play Books
There is an app called Calibre and a plugin known as DeDRM Tools, both of them will be needed to remove the DRM protection from the ebook.
Calibre is a very handy tool, and if you purchase a lot of ebooks from different websites and stores, then you musgt have calibre installed on your PC. With the help of Calibre you can manage and create one single library with all of your ebooks, no matter from which store you have purchased. Coming to the removal of DRM protection, follow the steps mentioned below to succesfully remove DRM protection.
- First, you need to install Calibre on your PC.
- Next, download the latest version of the DeDRM Tools plugin from GitHub and extract the downloaded zip file to a handy location on your PC.
- Launch the Calibre app, open Preferences and choose Plugins under the advanced section.
- Now, click on the load plugin which should be inside the file button, navigate to the folder where you had earlier unxipped the DeDRM Tools plugin nd select the DeDRM_plugin.zip file within the DeDRM_calibre_plugin directory. You have successfully installed the DeDRM Tools plugin.
- Cross check the plugin installation by going into Calibre Preferences >> Plugins >> File type plugins and looking for DeDRM plugin.
Now that you have successfully installed the DeDRM plugin and calibre app. Calibre should automatically remove the DRM protection of the downloaded ebooks from your DRM-protected EPUB files whenever you add the ebook to the Calibre library. Also, you can convert the ebook into any different format you feel like using the calibre app. Apple books, google Playbooks and Nook use the EPUB ebook format, while the Amazon Kindle uses MOBI format. Both formats are supported for conversion in calibre.
So this was an extensive guide on how to read google play books on other devices and how to remove DRM protection. Ebooks are very handy and especially in these modern days, we all have different types of gadgets, so reading your favourite book on your gadget has its own perks and fun.