In 2022, almost all of the apps have dark mode options be it on any platform. The same goes for Google Chrome. However, sometimes using the dark mode continuously can cause strain on the eyes.
Or, if your display isn’t bright enough then also you can struggle in viewing anything on chrome, especially if you are using it in outdoor conditions. This is when you should try and turn off the dark mode on the Google Chrome browser.
Dark mode helps in improving the battery life on OLED displays, as the black part simply turns off the pixels while it also helps our eyes while using it in low light or dark rooms. However, the dark mode has poor readability when compared to the light mode. This is why often you should turn off the dark mode when not needed.
Turning Off Dark Mode in Chrome on Desktop
Since we all know Chrome browser is available for all of the platforms, be it Windows, Linux or macOS and all of the platforms do come with a support of dark mode. Also, the Ui of the chrome browser regardless of the platform remains more or less the same, which makes it even easier to understand and change the settings in the chrome browser.
Below we have a quick tutorial on how you can turn off the dark mode in chrome.
- Open Google Chrome Browser on your computer, either from the pinned apps on the taskbar, or from the desktop shortcut, you can also search it inside the start menu.
- Once you are inside the Chrome browser on the homepage, you need to click on the Customize Chrome button that should be located on the bottom right corner of your screen. it should open a new overall window pane with some customizable settings.
- Now, from the overlay window pane, you can click on the Color and theme option from the left sidebar.
- In the next screen, you need to select the default colour tile from the options of the grid and then finally click on the Done button to save and apply the theme. You should see the changes immediately.
- That’s it, your Chrome browser should return to light mode on your device.
Turning Off Dark mode in Chrome on Android
If you are using the Google Chrome browser in dark mode on your Android device, chances are that you might be having issues reading outside in the sunlight and the solution for the same is to turn off the dark mode of your browser, then you will have improved readability of the articles on your chrome browser.
As we all know the readability of black texts on a white background is much better than reading anything on a black background with white texts.
In order to turn off the dark mode of your Chrome browser on your Android device, you can follow the tutorial below.
- On your Android device, open the Chrome browser either from your home screen or from the app drawer.
- Next, you need to tap on the kebab menu icon located in the top right corner of the screen( three vertical dots).
- From the drop-down menu, choose Settings.
- Inside the settings, scroll and navigate to the Theme option, it should be located under the Basics section of the settings page.
- Lastly, you can tap on the light option to turn off the dark mode and your chrome browser should immediately switch to the light mode.
- If for some reason it doesn’t change to light mode, then in that case you need to change the theme of your device to light mode to see the effect in your chrome browser as well.
- That’s it, you will now have your chrome browser in light mode on your Android device.
Turning off dark Mode in Chrome on iPhone
iPhone users mostly use the Safari browser on their phone, but as we all know Google chrome is the most popular browser in the world, so there are a lot of users who despite having an iPhone use the chrome browser.
If you are one of those people who use the Chrome browser on your iPhone and are having issues reading articles in dark mode then you can surely switch to the light mode in your chrome browser.
However, there is a catch, unlike Android smartphones where you can exclusively change the theme of the app, in iPhones, you will have to change the system theme in order to turn off the dark mode. You can turn off the dark mode of your iPhone by following the below tutorial.
- For switching your iPhone from dark mode to light mode you need to head to the settings app from the home screen or the app library of your iPhone.
- Find and tap on the Display and Brightness tab from the settings.
- At the top, you will see the Appearance option on your iPhone.
- Tap on the Light tile to change the system to a light theme on your iPhone.
Alternatively, you can also do it from quick settings as well, as going into settings and then other options can be a long and tedious process, especially when you want to change it quickly to read an article. So, below we have a quick shortcut tutorial to change the theme of your iPhone.
- For iPhones having FaceID, swipe down from the top right corner of the screen to open the control centre toggles. For iPhone 8 and earlier versions, users need to swipe up from the bottom to open the control centre of the iPhones.
- Now, tap and hold on to the brightness controller. It should open up the overlay settings of the display.
- Beneath the brightness slider, you will see an option to turn off the dark mode, tap on it.
- That’s it, your iPhone will switch to light mode, and all other apps will also be opened in light mode.
So, these were some of the methods to turn off dark mode in chrome browsers on different platforms, we hope this solves your problem.