- The iPhone hotspot feature comes in handy when you want to share the mobile data with other devices.
- There are times where the hotspot may appear slower than usual and you’re not alone.
- Here we explore all the things that might help speed up the iPhone hotspot.
Regardless of the phones, we all use mobile hotspots. So, if you have an iPhone and you make hotspots very often then this trick might help you in creating the hotspot faster on iPhones.
Mobile hotspots come in handy quite often. Especially when you are travelling, the mobile hotspots are the ones that save you from being offline on your laptop or other devices that don’t have cellular connectivity.
It can be frustrating if the mobile hotspots take a lot of time while turned on, or the device isn’t getting connected. So, there are several troubleshooting methods through which you can make a hotspot faster on your iPhone.
How to make iPhone Hotspot Faster?
The very first method is the basic troubleshooting method to help boost the hotspot performance of your iPhone.
- You might want to shorten the gap between the iPhone and the device that’s trying to connect to it.
- Ensure that the device that you are connecting to your iPhone isn’t far enough. If you keep it far enough, then the signals may drop and the network won’t be that stable. The speed may also be very slow.
- If you are having connectivity issues then you might want to restart the computer or the device that you are trying to connect to the iPhone.
- Check for software updates and make sure that your iPhone is running on the latest version of iOS. This can resolve any issues with the hotspot.
How to Make Hotspot Faster on iPhone: Troubleshooting Steps
In case the above steps don’t improve the efficiency of your iPhone’s hotspot, then you might need to try some of the advanced troubleshooting steps. Below are some of the troubleshooting steps to improve the hotspot efficiency and can help you in making the hotspot faster on your iPhone.
Fix 1: Close the Apps to Make your Hotspot faster on iPhone
With time iPhones might get slow due to software updates and storage getting filled. This might affect the speed with which the phone makes hotspots. Another reason for this could be a lot of apps are opened in the background.
Try closing all of the apps in the background. This will help in improving the speed of your iPhone. Here is how to improve your hotspot’s speed.
- On your iPhone, swipe up from the bottom of your home screen and then hold it.
- The phone should open a recent app screen, where you can see all of the apps that are opened in the background.
- Now, swipe up one by one to close each app, keep swiping up until all of the apps are closed.
Once you have closed all of the apps from the background, now try to create a mobile hotspot on your iPhone. Check if the phone creates a hotspot faster, if not then you can continue with the troubleshooting methods below which might help.
Fix 2: Test Maximize Compatibility to Boost Hotspot Signal on iPhone
iPhones 12 and later come with 5Ghz Wi-Fi. They use the 5Ghz Wi-Fi to create hotspots. So, if the device that you are connecting to your iPhone’s hotspot is very old, then it might not have 5Ghz Wi-Fi which could be the reason for your device not being able to connect to the hotspot of your iPhone.
The good thing is you can switch the iPhone’s hotspots to 2.4 GHz which is accepted by almost all of the Wi-Fi devices globally. The 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi might be a bit slow when compared to 5 GHz but it is more accepted. Here is how to switch to a 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi hotspot on iPhone.
- Go to the settings app on your iPhone.
- Now, tap on the personal hotspot option inside the settings app.
- Inside it, turn on the toggle that says maximize Compatibility. The toggle will be turned green to confirm that it is enabled.
That’s it. Now you have successfully enabled the 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi hotspot of your iPhone and you can now try to connect your device to the hotspot.
Fix 3: How to Make iPhone Hotspot Faster by Turning Off Background App Refresh
iOS has a toggle of enabling/disabling background app refresh, which helps in controlling the background sync of the apps on your iPhone. By default, it is enabled for all of the apps.
This can make your hotspot slow down, so if you want extra bandwidth for your hotspot you might want to disable background app refresh for not-so-important apps. Here is how to disable the background app refresh setting on your iPhone.
- Go to the settings app of your iPhone.
- Scroll down and then tap on General.
- Inside the general settings tap on the Background App Refresh.
- Now, tap on the Background App Refresh located at the top of the screen.
- Here, tap on Off to disable background app refresh completely.
That’s it, this will disable the background app refresh for all of the apps on your iPhone. Now, you can try making the hotspot and check if it increases speed.
Fix 4: Disable Automatic Updates to Boost Hotspot Speed
Smartphones tend to update the apps in the background on their own, whenever a new version of the app is released. This consumes a lot of bandwidth since the app update sizes are heavy and the apps are downloaded every time you update them.
You might want to disable the automatic updates of the apps to increase the efficiency of the hotspot of your iPhone. here is how to disable automatic updates of apps on iPhone.
- Head to the settings app of your iPhone.
- Find and tap on General.
- Now, tap on the Software Update option.
- Inside it, tap on the Automatic Updates.
- Turn off the toggles for Download iOS Updates Toggle and the Install iOS Updates toggle.
Disabling it will stop your phone from dividing the data to checking for updates all the time, this might save some of the data consumption and can help you in the efficiency of your hotspot.
Fix 5: How to Make Your Hotspot Faster by disabling Low Data Mode
The low data mode option allows iPhone users to help save some internet data. It reduces the network data usage of the apps by stopping the automatic updates and background refresh of the apps that are installed on your iPhone.
This not only stops background data usage but also makes data usage conservative. This could be one of the main culprits of your slow hotspot connection. If you are having a slow internet connection over a hotspot, you might want to check on the low data mode setting.
Below is the tutorial to check and disable the low data mode.
- Open the Settings app on your iPhone.
- Tap on the Cellular/Mobile data option.
- Now, tap on the cellular data options.
- In here, look for a setting named Low data mode and disable the same.
So, this is how you can disable the low data mode on your iPhone.
These were all of the major troubleshooting steps through which you can resolve your slow hotspot issue. We hope that we made your hotspot faster on your iPhone and your problem should have been resolved by either of the solutions provided by us.